Monday, March 1, 2010

Critique two


This painting is called "Hand Heart" by Jaison Cianelli. The medium or media of this painting is pencil then Cianelli digitally cropped, scanned, manipulated, and finished it. The subject matter of this image would be people giving and showing love between others. There are two hands that come together as a heart and that also connects to peace and love within people.
There are many different visuals used in this painting. Some that catch your eye right away would be the color and the texture of the picture. Right when I looked at this picture I noticed that the colors were kind of darker and the hands almost have a dirty look to them. I thought this was very interesting and it caught my eye. The tone and harmony of the picture is also very dull but has very nice shadings and colors in the center of the picture. The balance is symmetrical because each hand is going in the same way and everything is the same size. The value in this picture is light and dark because the center of the hands is very dark but the hands are a lot lighter. The first thing I noticed was the realism and subject matter in this painting. Once you look you see the heart that the hands are forming it it's obvious that it is showing love between people. Some people may have trouble interpreting the painting but the focal point of what I can see is the heart in the persons hands. The content of this picture made me realize what people look for in others. This image shows love that someone has for someone or something else, and it also shows that they believe in love. I really liked the proportion because I like how everything is centered and it is put together very well. The emphasis in this picture is also where the darkness is in the heart which makes it more obvious and noticeable.
The focal point in this painting is in the center of the hands which is the heart. I believe it draws peoples attention the most because it is darker. The second thing I noticed after the heart was that there were hands forming the heart. I liked the way this looked and I thought it made it a lot more interesting. The obvious narrative of this painting would be love. I think love is the most obvious because there is hands forming a heart, and whenever there is a heart involved in something it represents love. I liked how the painting was almost like a sepia color. Not many paintings are that color and I feel like it made the painting more attractive. The shading and texture of this painting was also done very well. Overall I think this painting by Jaison Cianelli was very strong and effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment